* Generator Exhaust Stack *


Many rallies we attend do not have electric hookups, but allow attendees to run their generator between the hours of 7am and 11pm to recharge their battery banks. One problem with this is the close parking accommodations and ground level generator exhaust Genturi1pipes, leading to breathing your neighbor's or maybe even your own generator exhaust emissions. One solution to the problem is to add a temporary exhaust "stack" on the generator, taking the exhaust emissions above RV level. There are some homemade solutions, some of which cause problems like increased backpressure, an exposed hot pipe, etc. And there are several commercial solutions. After looking at several options, then considering building our own, we took the easy way out and bought a Gen-turi exhaust system. Cost was just under $135, and the system comes with it's own storage bag.

The idea of the Gen-Turi is to direct generator exhaust emissions to above RV level without increasing engine backpressure, and without having a hot pipe exposed to passerby who might get burned by touching it. Toward the bottom of the 3-piece plastic "stack" is an opening where the rising hot exhaust gases can suck in cool air, cooling the stack and keeping the plastic pipe below skin-burning temps as the Genturi2exhuast gases rise above the RV. The bottom piece of the plastic pipe has a metal L-shaped pipe attached to the bottom. The horizontal end of the pipe is designed to attach to the generator exhaust pipe by way of a pin. This requires drilling a hole through the generator exhaust pipe or extension.

In attempting to use the Gen-Turi with on my motorhome I immediately discovered two problems. One, neither the Gen-turi pipe nor the provided adapter would go over the chrome extension (pic 1) on our Onan generator exhaust pipe; and Two, even it it did fit, Genturi4I was not willing to drill hole through the thick chrome extension. Removing the chrome extension when using the Gen-turi, and then putting it back on when the Gen-turi is removed, was not an option as the extension is welded on.

My solution was to buy an adapter to fit over the chrome generator extension on one end, and over the Gen-turi pipe at the other, at a local auto parts store. In order to secure the adapter on the chrome extension, I bought a standard exhaust system u-clamp, and replaced the standard nuts with wing nuts so I could be tightened/loosend by hand. I cut a hole through the smaller end to attach to the Gen-turi pipe with the supplied pin, and also cut slots in the larger generator Genturi5end of the adapter to help the fit. Total cost for the adapter and clamp was $3.11.

Picture 3 shows the adapter in place on the generator exhaust chrome extension with the Gen-turi attached with the supplied pin.

When I inserted the loose fit plastic extensions into the stack, I discovered another "problem." The Gen-turi installation instructions told me to drill four small holes into the wall of my motorhome in order to pop-rivet/screw two small brackets to the wall. These brackets are to be used to secure the Gen-turi stack in a vertical position with bungee cords. I really didn't want to drill holes in my motorhome, or have the little bracket sticking out from the side, so with a little experimenting I worked out an attachment method using rubber tarp straps of two different lengths. One strap hooks into the windshield molding while the other hooks into the lower track of the driver side window. Since the straps pull upward on the stack, and the entire assembly weighs just a few pounds, very little weight is resting on the generator exhaust pipe itself (which also has a support bracket under the pipe). With the Gen-turi secured to the generator exhaust pipe, and the rubber straps securing the stack in place, the top of the Gen-turi stack rests easily against the mirror arm ...a nice fit, and a "works-well" and reasonably "attractive" solution to the stinky generator exhaust problem.

Genturi6

...back to Our RV Travels...
The Empty Nest HOME...


free hit counter script